This accessibility statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our visitors. If you will require assistance in the event of an emergency, please complete and return at PEEP form, which you can download by from Murray Edwards College website. Further information from the UK government on PEEP forms is available here.
Murray Edwards College is part of the University of Cambridge and is a modern, bright College with unique architecture located 10 minutes’ walk from Cambridge city centre. The College has pretty, informal gardens and the largest collection of women’s art in Europe. Murray Edwards is located on Huntingdon Road, at the top of a street called Castle Hill, which has a modest gradient.
Our location just outside the city centre allows for a tranquil environment that is less than a 10 minute stroll from historic Quayside, where bars, restaurants, boutique shops and punting can be found.
The main college thoroughfares and access to the Dome, where lunch and dinner are served, are equipped with motorised doors.
- The nearest railway station is Cambridge Station and we would recommend getting a taxi from there, which should cost around £6-7.00.
- The nearest bus stop is just outside the College and a number of buses including the Citi 5 & 6 go from the Bus Station to that stop.
- Streets around the College are paved.
- Local services for disabled people can be found on the Disability Cambridge website.
Car Parking and Arrival
- Upon arrival at the College, please come to the main entrance Porters’ Lodge which has vehicle access and a generous dropping-off space, located on Buckingham Road which is off Huntingdon Road. Wheelchair access is available from the dropping-off point to the Porters’ Lodge.
- If you are coming by car, parking for up to 70 guests is available in our car park located on Storey’s Way. The route from the car park to the Porters’ Lodge is paved in generally smooth stone, concrete or tiling. At one point there is a slight incline to the main College building.
- Alternatively, it is possible to be dropped off in front of the Porters’ Lodge, as described above.
Main Entrance / Reception / Welcome Area
- The Porters’ Lodge is situated just above ground level (with the previously described wheelchair access available).
- You will immediately be in the Lodge once you come through the doors and this is a wide, clear space.
- There are normally visitors’ chairs in this area.
- The floor is flat stone and the area is well-lit.
Public Areas – Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
- All public areas are well lit.
Public Areas – Lounges, Lobbies
- There are no lounge areas other than the bar. Information in next section.
Restaurant/Dining Room, Bar & Bar area
- There is lift access to Dome Dining Room in one of the four staircases, which is on the first floor. It is a very large room with clear access to the servery and between tables.
- Doors to the Dome open automatically once the sensor is triggered.
- The bar is situated on the lower ground level, so use of the lift is required to access this.
- There are couches and low tables available in the bar.
- Both rooms are well lit with overhead lights.
- Floor surfaces are wood and smooth.
- Unless you are with an event, the bar is not open for drinks however, there are food and soft-drink vending machines.
- Accessible toilets are available on lower ground and ground level. There are no toilets on the first floor (Dome).
- We have a variety of chairs at Murray Edwards, please contact us for more information.
- Public toilets are located throughout the College, most often alongside an accessible toilet. There are also gender neutral toilets on the lower level – please ask the Porters for directions.
Grounds and Gardens
- Our beautiful informal gardens are available to all our guests and the majority can be accessed by wheelchair users by flat, generally smooth paths (there is some unevenness in certain areas).
Conference and Meeting Rooms
- We have 19 meeting rooms at Murray Edwards. All of which, except for the Music and Video Rooms, are wheelchair accessible.
- If you need very specific information, such as the width of the doors, please let us know.
- All of our meeting rooms are well lit.
- Hearing loops are available in some of our meeting rooms.
- Furniture arrangement will depend on the request of your event organiser.
- There are toilets and wheelchair access toilets available near all of our meeting rooms.
Local Carers: To find your local carers centre, please visit this website www.carerstrustcambridgeshire.org/
Local Equipment Hire: For mobility aids, please visit www.cambridgemobility.co.uk
Local Accessible Taxi: Panther – 01223 715715 A1 Taxis – 01223 313131
Local Public Transport: Please visit www.traveline.info